Thursday, March 12, 2009

Starting Plants

I started some of my plants on March 9th. This year I'm using peat pellets, toilet paper rolls cut in thirds and filled with soil, and reusable plastic planters.

On March 9th I started Cosmonaut Volkov Tomates, Gardener's Delight Cherry Tomatoes, Amish Paste Tomatoes, New Ace Peppers, Early Jalapeno Hot Peppers, Copra Onion, and Golden Self-Blanching Celery in Peat pellets. I also started 55 leeks, and more of the Cosmonaut & Cherry Tomatoes in toilet paper rolls filled with store bought potting soil.

I am using the book The Midwest Fruit and Vegetable Book, Wisconsin Edition as a guide to help me figure out when to start my plants indoor. I do not have a green house so Phil and I have come up with a way to put a temporary one in the garden with very little expense. I will be using my tomato trellis's by putting two tomato beds together. Each bed is 3' X 18' with a foot between. We will stretch the plastic over the trellises and secure it to the ground with wood or rocks. The sides will be closed using clothes pins. On cooler nights we will put a space heater under the plastic so the little plants will stay warm enough. Once we get it up I will take a picture and post it. I hope that by putting my plants in the “greenhouse” by the beginning of April that they will not be as spindly as they were last year when I grew them in front of a window until it was time to harden them up for transplanting.

No comments:

Post a Comment