Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sprouting and Syruping

I was excited to discover that many of the leeks have started to sprout, even the ones planted in the toilet paper tubes! Many of the tomatoes are poking through the dirt and hopefully sometime over the next few days we'll see the pepper plants starting. I will need to start more onions, tomatoes, and peppers on Monday. I also need to start the broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage. If I have enough peat pellets left I will probably start some lettuce & spinach too.

We tapped 16 Maple trees yesterday and today. So far we have only gathered about 10 gallons of sap which will yield around a quart of syrup. We will gather tomorrow twice then start cooking it down on Monday.

If want to read a funny story about two of our children who were trapped in the garden today stop by our family blog: The Adventures of the Reese's Pieces Gang

No comments:

Post a Comment