Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Ordering Seeds

I ordered seeds from two companies. Fedco Seeds www.fedcoseeds.com and Jordan Seeds www.jordanseeds.com. I was able to order with a friend who runs a local CSA, which allowed me to receive a discount on both orders. My total expense so far for seeds has been $85. I still have to order potatoes at the end of this month.

Here is a list of seeds I got from each company:
Jordan: Early Jersey Wakefield Cabbage, Black Beauty Eggplant, Green Sprouting Calabrese Broccoli, , Dwarf Blue Curled Kale, Asparagus (yes I'm planting from seed, we'll see how it goes), Northern Lights Swiss Chard, Tall Utah Celery, Red Acre Cabbage, Improved Hollow Crown Parsnip, American Flag Leek, American Purple Top Rutabaga, Detroit Dark Red Beets, Snowball Self Blanch Cauliflower, Contender Bush Green Beans, Royalty Purple Bush Bean, Purple Top White Globe Turnip, Early Frost Pea, Oregon Sugar Pod Snow peas, Cherokee Wax Beans, Little Finger Carrots, and Nantes Scarlet Carrots.

Fedco: Cosmonaut Volkov Tomatoes, Gardener's Delight Cherry Tomato, Amish Paste Tomato, New Ace Pepper, Early Jalapeno Hot Pepper, Copra Onion, Golden Self-Blanching OP Celery, Cream of Saskatchewan Watermelon, Sugar Baby Watermelon, Delicious 51 Muskmelon, Oka Muskmelon, Crystal White Wax Mini Onion, Everygreen Hardy White Scallion, Winter Lettuce Mix, Summer Lettuce Mix, Tom Thump Baby Bib Lettuce, Red Salad Bowl Lettuce, Black Seeded Simplson Lettuce, Bordeaux Spinach, New England Pie Pumpkin, Connecticut Field Pumpkin, Spaghetti Squash, Blue Hubbard Squash, Zeppelin Delicata Squash, Waltham Butternut Squash, Burgess Buttercup Squash, Golden Zucchini, de Bourbonne Cornichon Pickling Cuke, and a gree zucchini that is on back order.

I know.... this is a LOT of seed. I am determined this year to have every bed filled with food so that I can mulch heavily when the plants are up to help manage weeds. Last year I underestimated the number of plants per 3' X 20' “row” and we ended up with empty areas where the weeds thrived. YUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment