Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Starting More Plants

Since the only thing in the garden is mud right now I decided to start more plants inside today. The tomatoes, peppers, onions, leeks and celery that I started on the 9th are all doing very well. Many of the tomatoes are getting their second set or what some call their first real set of leaves.

Today I used up the rest of my peat pellets. The toilet paper rolls are ok but seem to have a bit of white mold on them. I'm not sure how the mold will effect the plants so I'm not going to start any more in tp tubes this year to make sure the plants started in them do well until transplanting into the garden.

The plants started today were broccoli, cauliflower, red cabbage, green cabbage, kale, swiss chard, spinach, 6 different types of lettuce, more copra onions and red onions. I need to buy more starter trays before I can do my herbs. They really don't need to be started until the beginning of April anyway. I also need to start another tray or 2 each of copra onions, red onions, and leeks so each of the beds for these onions will be full.

I tried tilling the garden last week just enough to get in the garlic and maybe some peas... but a belt broke. I'm not sure if it was because the soil was still too wet or if a little mouse decided to chew on the belt this winter while the tiller was being stored in the garage. Phil will be looking at it and getting it fixed ASAP. There are many things I'd like to get started in the garden the first week of April.

No comments:

Post a Comment